To all YK1 families: Attached is a letter from Superintendent/ CEO Dr. Cindi Vaselenak regarding today's public heal...
To all students and parents/ guardians: Attached is a bilingual joint communique issued by Yellowknife Education Dist...
To all YK1 families: The RCMP's Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) unit has partnered with The White Hatter company to...
Yellowknife Education District No. 1 (YK1) is pleased to announce that How Frog Brought Winter, a loving tribute to the...
To all YK1 families: The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer (OCPHO) is providing new guidance for screening and...
To all YK1 families: Please note that First Transit's Route 2 will resume service tomorrow morning - Tuesday, May 25, 2...
KDS Vision Statement:
“BUILDING OUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE TODAY BY TEACHING AND LEARNING THE DENE WAY.”
KDS Mission Statement:
"KDS is committed to providing quality education for our students by concentrating on four components of learning:
Language & Culture ~ Academics & Technology ~ Physical & Active Living ~ Dene Laws & Virtues Education"
Through the development of skills in these areas, students will grow and develop into respectful, healthy, diligent, and strong Dene who will give back to their families, community and the North.
Our programming continues to operate from Kindergarten to Grade 12. We teach our students that there are four key ingredients on the road to a successful education and life:
- Having a good attitude (being positive)
- Having a strong work ethic (diligence)
- Practicing perseverance (stick-to-it-iveness! Don’t give up, especially when the going gets tough!)
- And having integrity (doing the right thing when no one is watching, only Creator)
- Wowk, Meagan - Principal
- Harris, Julie - Grade JK/K
- Deavu, Ashley - Grade 1/2
- McDonald, Jolene - Grade 3/4
- Cote, Danielle - Grade 4/5
- Lizotte, Courteney - Grade 6/7
- McDonald, Denine - Grade 8/9
- Mansfield, Mike - High School Science, CTS
- Ryan, Alison - High School Math, Art, CTS
- Evans, Alice - School Elder/ Language Instructor
- Hamilton, Ty - Language and Culture Program Coordinator
- Casson, Annie - Program Support Teacher