To all YK1 families: Please note that the following bus routes will not be in service on Monday, May 17, 2021 due to sel...
To all YK1 families: The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer has announced that all Yellowknife, Ndilo and Detta...
To all YK1 families: Child and youth care counsellors (CYCCs) are available to support families by phone and video. CYC...
To all YK1 parents: The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has announced the expansion of its COVID-19 vacc...
May 5, 2021 is the National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and 2SLGBTQQIA+ (Two Spiri...
To all YK1 families: Attached is a letter from Superintendent/ CEO Ed Lippert with a remote learning update following...
KDS Vision Statement:
“BUILDING OUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE TODAY BY TEACHING AND LEARNING THE DENE WAY.”
KDS Mission Statement:
"KDS is committed to providing quality education for our students by concentrating on four components of learning:
Language & Culture ~ Academics & Technology ~ Physical & Active Living ~ Dene Laws & Virtues Education"
Through the development of skills in these areas, students will grow and develop into respectful, healthy, diligent, and strong Dene who will give back to their families, community and the North.
Our programming continues to operate from Kindergarten to Grade 12. We teach our students that there are four key ingredients on the road to a successful education and life:
- Having a good attitude (being positive)
- Having a strong work ethic (diligence)
- Practicing perseverance (stick-to-it-iveness! Don’t give up, especially when the going gets tough!)
- And having integrity (doing the right thing when no one is watching, only Creator)
- Wowk, Meagan - Principal
- Pal, Shweta - Child and Youth Care Counsellor
- McConnell, Ali - Mental Health Counsellor
- Linnen, Janna - Junior Kindergarten
- Harris, Julie - Kindergarten
- Deavu, Ashley - Grade 1/2
- McDonald, Jolene - Grade 3/4
- Cote, Danielle - Grade 4-6
- Lizotte, Courteney - Grade 6/7
- McDonald, Denine - Grade 8/9
- Mansfield, Mike - High School Science, Grade 10
- Hughes, Ty - High School ELA, Social Studies
- Pyke, Chris - High School Math, Art
- Evans, Alice - Wiiliideh Yatii Instructor
- Hamilton, Ty - Language and Culture Coordinator