To all YK1 families: The RCMP's Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) unit has partnered with The White Hatter company to...
Yellowknife Education District No. 1 (YK1) is pleased to announce that How Frog Brought Winter, a loving tribute to the...
To all YK1 families: The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer (OCPHO) is providing new guidance for screening and...
To all YK1 families: Please note that First Transit's Route 2 will resume service tomorrow morning - Tuesday, May 25, 2...
To all YK1 families: As COVID-19 vaccines roll out to more and more Northerners, there is lots of information – a...
To all YK1 families: Please note that YK1's District Office has reopened to the general public. We just ask that anyone...
KDS Vision Statement:
“BUILDING OUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE TODAY BY TEACHING AND LEARNING THE DENE WAY.”
KDS Mission Statement:
"KDS is committed to providing quality education for our students by concentrating on four components of learning:
Language & Culture ~ Academics & Technology ~ Physical & Active Living ~ Dene Laws & Virtues Education"
Through the development of skills in these areas, students will grow and develop into respectful, healthy, diligent, and strong Dene who will give back to their families, community and the North.
Our programming continues to operate from Kindergarten to Grade 12. We teach our students that there are four key ingredients on the road to a successful education and life:
- Having a good attitude (being positive)
- Having a strong work ethic (diligence)
- Practicing perseverance (stick-to-it-iveness! Don’t give up, especially when the going gets tough!)
- And having integrity (doing the right thing when no one is watching, only Creator)
- Wowk, Meagan - Principal
- Pal, Shweta - Child and Youth Care Counsellor
- McConnell, Ali - Mental Health Counsellor
- Linnen, Janna - Junior Kindergarten
- Harris, Julie - Kindergarten
- Deavu, Ashley - Grade 1/2
- McDonald, Jolene - Grade 3/4
- Cote, Danielle - Grade 4-6
- Lizotte, Courteney - Grade 6/7
- McDonald, Denine - Grade 8/9
- Mansfield, Mike - High School Science, Grade 10
- Hughes, Ty - High School ELA, Social Studies
- Pyke, Chris - High School Math, Art
- Evans, Alice - Wiiliideh Yatii Instructor
- Hamilton, Ty - Language and Culture Coordinator